It is important to be aware of all pet risks that are in your household. It’s not uncommon to see a pet with their head in a toilet, lapping up some unattended toilet bowl water. While this may seem like a safe practice as long as the bowl is clean, many of us use different products to keep our toilets sparkling. Have you ever wondered would happen if your pet took a lick of the blue water in the toilet?
Easy-to-use discs or tablets that go into the toilet bowl or clip on the side of the toilet are usually the most commonly found cleaners in the bathroom. These cleaners often turn the water blue and may seem unsafe for pets, but rest easy, that blue water is unlikely to harm your pet—although we don’t recommend letting them regularly drink the treated water. Like most things that can be toxic, the amount that your pet consumes is important. In this case, the chemicals from the toilet bowl cleaner found in the tablets or discs are diluted in water, and although they can cause some mild stomach upset, more severe signs aren’t expected.
If your pet drinks some of that blue toilet water, you can give them a small amount of milk or fresh water to help dilute the mixture even further. Be sure to contact your veterinarian, and if the instance is after hours, keep our number on hand in case the reaction needs emergency attention.